Friday, December 20, 2013

47 Ronin: A Black and White Samurai Movie


Keywords: action, fantasy, Japan, Samurai, revenge
Audience: 13+ (under 17 requires accompanying parent or adult guardian)
Violent content: much blood and severed limbs (mild visualization)
Sexual content: kissing scene, rape attempt scene (mild visualization)



This movie review is basically written upon a paradox: I'm writing a review about why I didn't want to write a review of this movie.

I saw the movie wall promotion on Blitz before watching The Hobbit last week. The promotional poster was captivating, especially the female villain. And then I was lucky enough to watch 47 Ronin last night (thanks to Duniaku.net).
sumber foto: screencrush.com

The 119 minutes watching the movie didn't leave me with the feeling of wanting to write a review about it. Unlike Snowpiercer, an impressive movie that I still want to tell people about, 47 Ronin was something that I don't know what to discuss about.

Oh, it's not a bad movie. It served us with great visual exploitation and neat storyline (not without plot holes). The problem is everything was black and white. The protagonists were good people: a noble group of Samurai and the only mistake they had made was looking down at the main character (Kai the half-breed, played by Keanu Reeves). The antagonists were bad people who lusted after power and hegemony. No one was in-between. No one.

(If you do want to watch the movie, don't check the trailer. It contains spoilers. I checked the trailer the day after I watched the movie and I was so relieved that I hadn't seen it.)

And the visualization of most things in the movie supported the black and white tendency. Behold, this is where the good people lived: bright buildings, square, forest, and hills! Now take a look at where the bad people lived: a dark castle looming over a tight square surrounded by mighty walls!

I can rant more about the cheesy love story and the odd ways the Japanese people interact in the movie. But Keanu Reeves is a good guy; I can't do that to him (or I'm just too lazy to write more). However, I couldn't say 47 Ronin is not entertaining. It's fun, especially for those haven't much exposed to Samurai spirit. For those looking for something deep, you'd rather watch The Last Samurai again.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please add your comment here. Thank you ^^

Labels

life (37) hobby (22) movie (21) review (20) GRE (16) poem (12) study (12) work (11) game (8) social (8) translation (7) business (6) dream (6) economy (6) novel (6) music (5) Facebook (3) friendship (3) linguistics (3) manga (3) marketing (3) self-actualization (3) IELTS (2) language (2) money (2) culture (1) gender (1) leadership (1) literature (1) name (1) peace (1)